For a synopsis of Why good web design is important follow this link.
'Snazzy' site that details some bad web page design follow this link.
You have been directed to this page
For one or more of the following reasons:-
You have a webpage that uses Username/password combinations that
- require excessively obtuse strings for security, that have to be written down (Puts paid to security)
- are mandatory for your FREE areas
- for information to enable viewing of datasheets or similar to drive your equipment or chips
(Not much use for anything else, and if to stop your competition, they probably had the data before it reached your website)
With the growing number of password protected sites, users are expected to remember too many usernames and password, so they will
be written down and/or stored in places that means all pretence of security or tracking of users is lost.
Printing problems and Online order confirmations
- not directly printable
- assumes photo quality printer, so font colours do not map to usable ones on laser printers
- needs a special link to yet another page to wait for in order to print
- send confirmation emails as HTML/web pages ONLY!!! (the world is NOT only using a web browser)
Your webpage takes longer than 1 minute to download over a standard 56K modem line due to:-
- main page is Flash only, with no other viewable alternative
- the webpages have MORE graphics than the Louvre, and most of them are 6 metre murals
- background image is too complex or unnecessary
- background default colour makes text unreadable before background image is loaded
- there are animations or other graphical effects that add nothing to the information
- large sound files are expected to be loaded (assumes EVERYBODY has sound on their system or wants to play it)
- this site must have only been tested on an internal network
- page(s) were created by a WYSIWIG editor that extends the size of the page to 10 times what is required or saves the whole page as an image
If a web page takes longer than ONE Minute on a standard 56K modem to download many users give up and go elsewhere!
Don't some of you realise that, just because you have a T3 link the rest of the world might not have a dedicated T3 link!
Also see System Requirements.
Your site has broken search links/engine
- search facilities only speak in your company speak
- search engine returns wrong information or no information for one of your product numbers
- you have explicit instructions on where to find information which gives '404 - File not Found' errors, or links to wrong pages
Bad use of downloadable files
- programmes or apllication suites that should be sent via CD-ROM as they are so big are expected to be downloaded
(One site expected a 200MB download for their entry level software, and other bigger ones could be downloaded), some have been seen over 1GB !
- Downloadable sections are only for a few of the platforms you support
- documents are in proprietary formats ONLY
- expect use of special download software to autocreate directories or files assuming there is only a C:\ drive!
Your site takes too long to navigate
- navigation is not laid out in any sensible order
- text is too small or colours mean impossible to read
Which says "Black Text on an ALMOST black background". This was seen in the same colour choices on a credit card type selection box.
|For example -
||Black Text on an ALMOST black background
- all the text is as graphics, so takes a long time to download and assumes a certain screen size
- pages do not scale up to larger screen size, or are unuseable on smaller screen sizes
- assumes a certain
map or special font not available on all systems.
- assumes a particular version of a particular browser
- insists on loading and playing long videos with sound clips on the main or every page
- bad coding means that blank pages or other problems exist (like unable to print the page)
- Text areas of IMPORTANT details that must be read Terms and Conditions. License conditions etc.
are not wrapped within user's screen or popup window size, so are difficult to read
Your site insists on Pop-Up windows
- on every page
- unable to disable them
- don't show the contents of the whole pop-up window (submit buttons not viewable)
- don't allow AUTO scroll bars for screen sizes different to the originators system
- contain too many graphics or complex backgrounds
- does not display properly due to choice of fonts or expecting a specific version of a specific browser
Your site insists on too many cookies
- too many cookies are asked for on ONE page (more than 30 for one page has been seen)
- same cookie(s) is asked for even after accepting the first one
- same cookie(s) with expiry dates changing by the second are seen for every page
- cookie(s) contains explicit referenece (often in plain text) to identify individual or IP address or domain name
- cookie(s) has very long name or value so it is shown as a window many times wider than the physical screen width
- one or more of your cookies is superfluous, as any other cookie being returned would confirm the state.
(examples "Cookies enabled=Yes", "Userloggedin=OK").
- Cookies should be handled SERVER side not CLIENT side
Your site gives NO indication of products and/or prices
- why say what types of products you do without more information
- why put up how to buy details without prices
- why give prices for different versions without saying what the differences are
Bad Forms use for entry of personal details
- has input boxes that cut off half of the text so it cannot be checked
- your site insists on knowing my grandmother's maiden name just to
- send you an email
- view datasheets, product listings, etc..
- obtain free files/data
- the gathering of the amount of details you require, may break the law in your country or other countries
- feedback forms require information and/or have choices that are not applicable IN THE REAL WORLD
- feedback form validation does not allow REAL answers for other parts of the world
- it is not possible to view parts of your site WITHOUT agreeing to have junk email or snail mail sent
- you have email or feedback forms that only get read when ONE person is in the office
To give feedback about this page, or proceed to the next stage having been directed here follow this link.
This page was originally written tested, and uploaded then a complete Linux system installed whilst waiting for a piece of software only available from the web was downloaded (45MegaBytes), hence this page
Due to the nature of bad web page practise, this page is updated regularly! Usually whilst waiting for the next large download to finish.
The League Against Poor Web Design & Web WYSIWIG Packages That Should be Shot at Dawn
Last Updated 1st November 2009